Introduce Yourself

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
Tomhet
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Introduce Yourself

Post by Tomhet »

It's strange posting in this topic given that I've been a member here for about six years, but whatever.

I'm Guy. I'm a drunk with degrees in philosophy and mathematics, working my way toward a PhD in philosophy so I can pursue my lifelong dream of delivering pizzas. I'm awful about keeping track of ratings here. I tend to only rank about 1/4th of what I watch, and I generally try to make sure I don't enter a score until I've seen a movie at least two or three times.

Here's a picture of me in my mother's clothing:

Toxic Fletch
0 Ratings

Post by Toxic Fletch »

I am Toxic

...or so I've been told.

Arrived here today. I really like the speed of the site, not a lot of crap taking forever to load.

I also like the mini-review format as it fits with my concise reviewing style; this way I can watch more movies instead of spending more time writing reviews. :mrgreen:

My nickname actually is Toxic Fletch. I got that from a gaming group. We would get together for roleplaying and about half the time it would turn into a movie watching session. I always liked horror movies, and especially sleazy ones. One of the guys started calling me Toxic because he somehow associated sleazy horror movies with The Toxic Avenger (I didn't get it either), and my name is Fletch, short for Fletcher, so that's what they called me and I use it for an online presence.

Talk to you all soon.

Not-the-One
0 Ratings

Post by Not-the-One »

Been a member for over 4 years, figured it was about time to say "Hi".

Hello.

RonPrice
0 Ratings

Post by RonPrice »

I am interested, as I say above Paxton, in commenting on movies, but ranking them seems somewhat irrelevant.-Ron
------------------------------
Here is a prose-poem entitled: AT THE MOVIES

When the French writer Gustav Flaubert was asked whether he wanted his novel Madame Bovary illustrated, he said: "No, on no account; everybody will lose their individual picture of her." I think the same would be true if this autobiography of mine was ever made into a film. At the same time, I've always had a certain sympathy for people who don't read or read very little. And there are millions of such people now, people who watch 30 plus hours of TV every week. Their time with print is a very few number of hours and usually with newspapers, magazines and pulp fiction. I’d certainly like to reach as large an audience as possible with my writing but, if I wanted to reach millions I'd have more success as a movie-maker. For these millions, exposure to my autobiographer could only be done through the medium of cinema.

Novelists, autobiographers, writers in various genres, fantasize about their work transferred to film. Most writers are not equipped to make a movie, in my opinion. I’m certainly not; I’m not really interested in doing so. I’m a writer not a film maker. “Novelists make their own movie when they write,” said John Le Carre. “They're casting, they're dressing the scene, they're working out where the energy of the scene is coming from and they're also relying tremendously on the creative imagination of the reader.”1 This is partly true of me and what I write, but not in the detailed way that Le Carre describes here for novelists. For the most part, I have not had my mind on some visual narrative while I have been writing. -Ron Price with thanks to 1John Le Carre in “John le Carré at the NFT,” Adrian Wootton, Guardian Unlimited, October 5, 2002

Can we find the creative fact,
the fertile fact, the suggestive,
engendering fact, the brightness,
the special flavour, the scientific
spirit, the conversational catalyst,
the significant relationships, truth
in symbolic, poetic form, a certain
hyperactuality, heightened import
intensified real-life? Can we?

Can private, inner, mental, life
be described and set in time,
in history’s whole? Can the story
of my listless will, indolence,
sluggish ease, care on care,
black melancholy and my seeking
of a lonely bed which sooths
my languid head, can it be told
while reason’s feeble light shoots
a pale glimmer in the gloom of night.1

1 Samuel Johnson, Poems, quoted in Richard B. Schwartz, Boswell’s Johnson: A Preface to the Life, University of Wisconson Press, Madison, 1978, p.80.

Ron Price
14/11/'05 to 3/1/'15.

sodr2
0 Ratings

Post by sodr2 »

Sup! 23 cinephile here im into coming of age and Japanese new wave, guy above me mentioned Kôji Wakamatsu which makes me feel.... gah, feels like home you know? :) Actually im fond of many posts here.

Anyways im not sure how fast this site will blow out my candles like imdb/mubi/icheckmovies/letterbd or w.e the heck its called. This site does seem promising enough. Hope to expand my love for cinema via friends.. communication.

karamazov.
51 Ratings

Post by karamazov. »

sodr2 wrote:Sup! 23 cinephile here im into coming of age and Japanese new wave, guy above me mentioned Kôji Wakamatsu which makes me feel.... gah, feels like home you know? :) Actually im fond of many posts here.

Anyways im not sure how fast this site will blow out my candles like imdb/mubi/icheckmovies/letterbd or w.e the heck its called. This site does seem promising enough. Hope to expand my love for cinema via friends.. communication.

Greets. I like your taste [and I genuinely don't mean that to be snarky, since our TCIs are way off...]. "Onibaba" below "Woman in the Dunes" tho', smh.

Emir Han
0 Ratings

Post by Emir Han »

Hello everyone. I became a member two days ago. I love this site mostly that ranking stuff. I have watched so many movies that I did not rank yet. I've been looking for something like this for a long time. I love to watch any kind of movies. Especially biopics are my favourite one. I hope I can finish ranking movies I've watched. :D

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

hello fellow movie fans. i'm a big movie fan and am looking forward to sharing my analysis and critique of the movies with all of you.

dardan
57 Ratings

Post by dardan »

Hello doobler and I agree: uncle Todd should fuck himself.

Velvet Crowe
1135 Ratings

Post by Velvet Crowe »

I usually hate these topics, but meh, might as well post. I've been here for over 5 years so I might as well post.

I was born in Port Aux Basques, Newfoundland, Canada but was raised in Nova Scotia, Halifax. Have major interests in competitive gaming{and gaming in general} and tend to have an interest in all forms of entertainment be it anime, comics or literature. I don't really consider myself an expert in any of these medias but I have okayish knowledge at least.

I also have a pretty grand interest in law and international affairs. I have studied a lot about the Islamic nations as well as Eastern Asian nations. I don't consider myself an expert on these topics, but I do think I have more knowledge on it than most people do.

I'm also an amateur photographer who works in journalism at a few different publications over the years. I don't think of myself as being an amazing journalist or writer, but good enough to keep myself on the job.