We might be approaching AI-RENDERED TV, film, commercials, etc.

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
90sCoffee
21 Ratings
Your TCI: na

We might be approaching AI-RENDERED TV, film, commercials, etc.

Post by 90sCoffee »

I put RENDERED in the thread title before people say things like "AI movies will never replace the creativity or emotion of a human script" etc. I'm not talking about someone telling ChatGPT to go make a pizza commercial or a movie about X in which case yes the script and stuff would be a problem and it cannot currently or maybe ever replicate human creativity.

I'm talking about someone who gives an AI video rendering program a script, tells it the setting, describes the actors or the scene, and then tells it to render it. Its rendering has issues right now if you look up sample commercials people have made using AI like issues with a mouth or finger or whatever but as the software is in early stages, you have to assume this will be fixed and even in the future someone would just edit the mistakes. The main thing is that the rough outline is already very lifelike looking. Which then asks the question, if you know exactly what you want to render, do you need actors, camera crew, lighting crew, etc or even an actual set or do you just need someone good at giving AI prompts and a software that can render what the person is describing and then someone who can use software to make the usual post-edits.

If it's an animated show then do you even need animators or voice actors if you can just tell it what to animate and feed it the script?

In which case, can't it basically just gut the media industry and automate the jobs we wouldn't think needed to be automated from casting directors to stunt coordinators? And I'm not saying this will happen in an year or a 5 years but technology is always deflationary, can move at an exponential pace, and when this happens at first, it will likely just be a commercial or maybe even a radio or podcast AD or something small. We did not go from being able to use the first video camera in the late 19th century to creating a full feature length films right away.

edkrak
132 Ratings

Re: We might be approaching AI-RENDERED TV, film, commercials, etc.

Post by edkrak »

I'm actually super excited about this and think it will be (for better or worse) the biggest breakthrough for movie production in decades. I'm already playing around with Midjourney to create movie screenshots for movies that don't exist (see viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3940 for one of the examples). But some people are getting interesting results from video already, for example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zrg4t3_PdLM . Yeah it's creepy and wonky etc, but Midjourney went from creepy to quite realistic in just 1 year. Video is harder especially in terms of consistency, but unless we hit some big blocker in terms of processing power I think it's just few years and we're there.

I think that instead of creating whole movie from the script, the first thing to come will be actually generating separate scenes. I imagine we'll be able pre-plan each small cut of the movie, generate it several times and than edit all of that traditional way into a whole movie. :idea: In one way this idea is a bit depressing, because we'll lose some of the movie magic of shooting films IRL, but on the other hand I'm so disappointed in the state of modern cinema that I don't even care if the whole industry dies because of that. I want weirdos that create shit like this (https://www.reddit.com/r/midjourney/com ... e_wildest/) to actually start creating their AI-made full feature movies in their basements without the need of any budget instead of watching another uninspired Hollywood crap.

gogolit
0 Ratings

Re: We might be approaching AI-RENDERED TV, film, commercials, etc.

Post by gogolit »

Looking at the state of dialogue, screenwriting and senseless plots in our films today (both big a small budget) and hard to imagine how AI could be much worse. The entire industry has taken a creative nosedive in the past I'd say 10 years I honestly think it can't have ever been any worse than now. The randoms who write shows today don't seem to have even the most basic grasp of basic humanity, character or motives, I honestly think a robot AI has a better chance of being human.

Of course all this is because corporate greed has taken over the industry in ways it never was able to until post-2000s, creatives haven't been given free reign by producers and studios for at least over a decade now (the trend is similar in other creative industries), so a slave AI script writer again won't be any less creative.