Four New Enhancements at Criticker

Ideas to improve Criticker and new feature requests, as well as announcements about new enhancements.
mpowell
1 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Four New Enhancements at Criticker

Post by mpowell »

Average Tier by Collection

If you go to the list of collections, you'll notice a new column which displays your average tier for each. This will help you find collections which tend to have the films you most enjoy.

As an example, check out the collections which match the phrase Oscar: Best. I'm not too surprised to find that my average ranking for "Best Foreign Film" is notably higher than for "Best Picture".

Note that you can't sort on this field -- with more than 3000 public collections currently in the database, it would be too much calculation for our li'l server to handle.

Thanks to user nauru for this suggestion!

Updates to Collection Moderation

The Collection Moderation page has been given a total makeover. Besides looking much better, we've added a new bit of functionality -- the ability to add films directly from the moderation screen. You were able to delete films from the moderation page, so why not add them as well?

Load More Rankings on User Profile

On the User Profile pages, you're familiar with the list of films underneath the user information -- things like "Recent Rankings", "Remembered Films", "Best TCIs", etc. By default, we've always just shown the top 10 of each category. But now, we allow you to show the top 100 by pressing a simple link.

Credit for this suggestion goes to Vassago!

Ignore / Save Films from Film Database

This was one of those enhancements so obvious, we can't believe that it didn't already exist. But now, you can add films to your "Ignored" or "Remembered" collections directly from the Film Database.

Ununnilium
82 Ratings

Re: Four New Enhancements at Criticker

Post by Ununnilium »

Good stuff, mostly, but seeing what the latest update to the collections is was important for me. Any chance of bringing that back?

dardan
57 Ratings

Post by dardan »

Not much to say other than: Thanks! It's good to see Criticker continuously improving.

mpowell
1 Ratings

Post by mpowell »

Ununnilium wrote:Good stuff, mostly, but seeing what the latest update to the collections is was important for me. Any chance of bringing that back?

We weren't actually sure if people were going to miss that, or not. The table is already pretty crowded, and removing that bit of information provided a lot of extra space. In the end, we decided to remove it, since you can see the latest film under the (+) dropdown.

The way it is now, there's not enough extra room to add it back in, but if a lot of people are missing it, we can think about adding some sort of toggle...

Barthalen
0 Ratings

Post by Barthalen »

Being able to see more than 10 titles/rankings in a user profile is a very welcome addition, thanks!

5Z5qjRCfM2
176 Ratings

Post by 5Z5qjRCfM2 »

Is it possible to sort by collection average tier? Thanks.

mpowell
1 Ratings

Post by mpowell »

5Z5qjRCfM2 wrote:Is it possible to sort by collection average tier? Thanks.

No, unfortunately that's not currently possible. With more than 3000 public collections currently in the database, it would be too much calculation for our server to handle.

paulofilmo
5 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

With more than 3000 public collections currently in the database

fuck. i feel like public collections not starred after a certain amount of time should be forcibly hidden.

5Z5qjRCfM2
176 Ratings

Post by 5Z5qjRCfM2 »

mpowell wrote:
5Z5qjRCfM2 wrote:Is it possible to sort by collection average tier? Thanks.

No, unfortunately that's not currently possible. With more than 3000 public collections currently in the database, it would be too much calculation for our server to handle.

Maybe make it a paid feature?

3000 items doesn't seem like much to sort, actually. My POS laptop does that in 100 ms. Is the issue that the avg collection tier is only computed on page load? Then the calculation effort of sorting would really be calculating PSIs and averages for all the films in all the collections, which would make sense. But paid accounts already have the film PSIs computed, so only the 3000 averages and their sort would be needed. And then, only if someone actually presses the sort button. Possibly doable.

I appreciate the site and what you do, I'm just trying to be helpful. Thanks!