Horror

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
NIV7
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Horror

Post by NIV7 »

Hello! I'm just here to find some movies that irrevocably imprint how the visual method of storytelling can ruin (or otherwise alter) a viewer. I have seen many fluids from many bodies, and while that is an interesting experience for shock, it has almost never been meaningful. I am not above watching terrible things inflicted upon all sorts of what- or whoever, but I am looking for the movies that 'elevate' the sad/bad/awful/painful things into something truly (existentially?) grotesque.

For reference/calibration:

Grave Encounters was one of the worst things I've ever seen in my life / Grave Encounters 2 went beyond the pale (maybe not quite horror) to explore the thirst for fame (wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy better than XXX and Pearl and Maxxxine)

Theatre Bizarre is a mixed bag, but I am (like many) also partial to The Accident & Sweets

I think Pulse (2001) is one of the most perfect horror movies ever made (also Verbinski's remake of The Ring)

Not sure how graphic to go (I do think a certain level of violence is necessary, due to the (mostly) visual nature of movies (vs books)) but I didn't see a horror thread to easily add to, so I don't have a good baseline.

If there is and I simply missed a late-middle forum page, please just add a link and I'll catch up!

NIV7
0 Ratings

Re: Horror

Post by NIV7 »

Oh right, I am a natural hater and have seen many movies in my favorite genre:
hatorade.jpg
hatorade.jpg (62.04 KiB) Viewed 869 times

monclivie
64 Ratings

Post by monclivie »

Have you tried Climax? It's quite a fun and f*cked up ride.

NIV7
0 Ratings

Post by NIV7 »

Yes! I have watched all of Gaspar's movies, but every time I go to rate them I feel like I should rewatch them first. None of them have ever had the instant/epiphanic "yes" or "no" that other movies do — probably this means they are really good and I need to do more learning, but mostly it means I don't love them and don't recommend them (except in very specific circumstances).

Good suggestion tho, his movies are definitely in the vein I like!