Impersonation / False Identity

Share your Criticker Collections with the rest of the community!
lisa-
192 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Impersonation / False Identity

Post by lisa- »

the face of another by hiroshi teshigahara. my comment:

"dialogue was a bit obvious at times, and the secondary plot felt tacked on, but camera and sound combine very well with interesting themes regarding identity versus persona."

Stewball
0 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

Kind of close calls but I think they qualify:
V for Vendetta--uses a mask not as a disguise, but to cover his face, and to assume the symbolic identity of a well known dead hero.
Fight Club--the only one fooled is the narrator, by his simultaneous double identity.
The Princess and the Frog--people into frogs.

nauru
0 Ratings

Post by nauru »

I don't think fight club qualifies because he isn't deliberately assuming a different identity. There's no deceit, only some kind of psychological issue.

V for Vendetta I don't think qualifies either, because there's no deceit. Can't comment on the last one because I haven't seen it.

nauru
0 Ratings

Post by nauru »

I'm realizing now that there is no under-cover cop collection, so a lot of under-cover cop films are going to end up in here. Which is okay I suppose, although less interesting than films like Gattaca or Mrs. Doubtfire.

Stewball
0 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

nauru wrote:I don't think fight club qualifies because he isn't deliberately assuming a different identity. There's no deceit, only some kind of psychological issue.

V for Vendetta I don't think qualifies either, because there's no deceit. Can't comment on the last one because I haven't seen it.

You might have mentioned the deceit requirement. And that was my point about Fight Club anyway, his psychological issue was his subconscious deceiving himself. Tyler Durden was his disguise. Ultra cool example.

mattorama12
67 Ratings

Post by mattorama12 »

nauru wrote:I'm realizing now that there is no under-cover cop collection, so a lot of under-cover cop films are going to end up in here. Which is okay I suppose, although less interesting than films like Gattaca or Mrs. Doubtfire.

Well, this is your collection, so I won't add them unless you decide. If you do decide to add them, 21 Jump Street and 22 Jump Street should find their way in, too.

saudade
24 Ratings

Post by saudade »

Tim Roth in Reservoir Dogs springs to mind. The Truman Show is the most elaborate example I can think of. The queen in Snow White, but maybe too late in the game to qualify. Then there's movies like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, where it's kind of involuntary, so I'm not sure. If the characters don't have to be human, there's stuff like: Invasion of the Body Snatchers, The Stepford Wives, and Child's Play.

Others to consider: Mulan, Tootsie, The Truth About Cats & Dogs, Spider-Man, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Kindergarten Cop, Hard Candy, Buffalo '66, Django Unchained, Sister Act, The Major and the Minor, Gentleman's Agreement, Overboard

I'm just shooting some ideas out there. Hopefully some of them fit the bill.

Kojiless
448 Ratings

Post by Kojiless »

Not as awesome as the other suggestions, but the first one off the top of my head: Just One of the Guys (1985).

Yeah... That says a lot about me, huh...

Props to saudade for Kindergarten Cop.

Edit. One degree of separation to get to She's the Man (2006). Huzzah!

Ag0stoMesmer
354 Ratings

Post by Ag0stoMesmer »

Star Wars I ?

Kaboom has a load of characters 'undercover'

The imposter -documentary

She's the Man -sex and identity

Undercover reporter and industrial spy-wise;
Never Been Kissed
Sound of My Voice
The East
Cypher

If body-switchers like freaky friday count there's;
Big
17 Again
Vice versa

All those adaptations of The Prince and The Pauper...

xanderbisc
0 Ratings

Post by xanderbisc »

The Unknown (1927)
Witness for the Prosecution (1957)
Some Like it Hot (1959)
Days of Heaven (1978)
The Usual Suspects (1995)
Primal Fear (1996)
The Son (2002)
Fermat''s Room (2007)
[Rec] ² (2009)
Non Stop (2014)

plus pretty much every superhero movie ever...