Guess the movie from the image

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
paulofilmo
5 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Guess the movie from the image

Post by paulofilmo »

Ew. Take the arguing to PM.

Detox wrote:A Woman Under The Influence.

Yusss

VinegarBob
30 Ratings

Post by VinegarBob »

Pickpocket wrote:Insightful. A forum where someone posts an opinion. Of course it's my opinion, genius

Your (insulting, aggressive and uncorroborated) opinion is noted.

Pickpocket wrote:It means so much to you that you posted a two paragraph response. You're not fooling anyone

I felt the desire to post what I did in the vain hope you might stop acting like an arrogant childish asshole, not because the point you made required a long response.

Pickpocket wrote:No one has complained therefore it is ok to do.

Not that there's any need to defend my actions to you, but it's within the rules, has been discussed and endorsed by many users and has only received a positive response from those who have expressed an opinion on the matter (except for you). So yes, I have no reason to believe it's not okay to do.

Pickpocket wrote:Hissy fit?

Yes. I think calling people dumbasses and/or fuckheads out of the blue because they don't get their way qualifies as a hissy fit.

Pickpocket wrote:I asked if you guys could just post regular images like everybody else in this thread and then you proceeded to passively aggressive post more pictures of people's eyes.

So people who don't do as you ask are passive aggressive? You might want to research more about what passive aggressive actually means. Generally, when you ask a question you should be prepared to accept both answers. Otherwise it's a demand. Why I and others should stop playing the game in a way that everyone seems happy with except you is beyond me. Who do you think you are? And why should anyone accede to your demands?

I'm writing more than I normally would waste my time on replying to your nonsense because I'm getting a bit sick of guys like you thinking they own they place and can insult people and generally act in a way that people can only get away with on the internet. I think the issue of people behaving that way needs highlighted.

I'm sure you'll fire back some oh-so-clever response but I'm done. Interacting with some spoiled little brat who's only interested in pedantic point scoring and dick waving isn't my idea of fun - as it obviously is for you. Have the last word if you want - I know that's of the utmost importance to you, but I won't be reading it or any more comments from you if the 'ignore' function here works the way I think it does. Life's too short.

Pickpocket
0 Ratings

Post by Pickpocket »

Rumplesink wrote:
I felt the desire to post what I did in the vain hope you might stop acting like an arrogant childish asshole, not because the point you made required a long response.

Again, you claim to not care then post a novel describing it. Really consistent. Please, post more pictures of people's eyes.

Rumplesink wrote:
Yes. I think calling people dumbasses and/or fuckheads out of the blue because they don't get their way qualifies as a hissy fit.

It wasn't out of the blue. It was a reaction to your passive aggression.

Rumplesink wrote:So people who don't do as you ask are passive aggressive? You might want to research more about what passive aggressive actually means.

If you read the definition of passive aggression, it fits you to a tee. But I didn't realize you were floating above the rest of us and were impervious to criticism.

Rumplesink wrote:Why I and others should stop playing the game in a way that everyone seems happy with except you is beyond me. Who do you think you are? And why should anyone accede to your demands?

I was trying to make the game more enjoyable. Posting a picture of people's eyes or a fucking bedpost, which you've done before, is annoying and nonsensical. Should we post a still of a movie through an instagram filter next? Should I take a black and white movie and colorize it? It just makes the game pointless. Where does it end?

Rumplesink wrote:I'm writing more than I normally would waste my time on replying to your nonsense because I'm getting a bit sick of guys like you thinking they own they place and can insult people and generally act in a way that people can only get away with on the internet. I think the issue of people behaving that way needs highlighted.

No one thinks this, this is you projecting your feelings onto the rest of us.

Rumplesink wrote:I'm sure you'll fire back some oh-so-clever response but I'm done. Interacting with some spoiled little brat who's only interested in pedantic point scoring and dick waving isn't my idea of fun - as it obviously is for you. Have the last word if you want - I know that's of the utmost importance to you, but I won't be reading it or any more comments from you if the 'ignore' function here works the way I think it does. Life's too short.

And there it is. Literally "I can't even." :lol: :lol: :lol:

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

I generally like Rumplesink's presence on these forums, and while I like Pickpocket, have disagreed with him on literally dozens of instances.

In this case, Pickpocket is completely correct. Just because I haven't made a post stating how much I dislike the extreme cropping (I was hoping it would die off by itself) doesn't mean that everyone reading this topic is a fan. It's still a game, but not the one originally intended by the topic.

If you want to make an extreme cropping movie image game, feel free to start a new one.

philamental
55 Ratings

Post by philamental »

Ok here's my two cents for what it's worth.

I personally don't like the cropped image approach but that's a personal preference and I don't see a problem if others want to use them. Look at the first post of this thread back on page one ...

"3. If the picture you have is so bleeding obvious, then, if you're computer-smart enough, crop a certain section of it or distort it somehow to challenge some of our more knowledgable users."

... which shows cropped images have been part of this game from the very start. I've been playing for about a year and cropped images crop (ahem) up every now and then so there are clearly a few people who like to use them and they have every right to do so when it's their turn. Live and let live, people. Save the personal differences for the discussion based threads if that's your thing, and keep this one for the bit of harmless fun that it's meant to be.

Finally, to save people trawling through the crap if they want to avoid it, Detox correctly guessed 'A Woman Under the Influence' so it's their turn when they are ready.

bowfinger
0 Ratings

Post by bowfinger »

Just ignore the resident trollers and the game will be fine. Cropped or not, keep rolling.

VinegarBob
30 Ratings

Post by VinegarBob »

A few points:

There aren't actually that many users who regularly participate in this game, so now that a few have noted their dislike of cropped images I'll not post any more. I probably was getting a little carried away with the cropping, but honestly at this point I'm struggling to come up with films that fall into the bracket everyone's happy with but that haven't been done already. The reason I started doing it was because the game seemed a little binary to me: Either you'd seen the film and knew the answer or you hadn't and didn't. So I thought it might be more interesting to post images that were from movies that the vast majority of people playing the game had seen, but cropped to make it more challenging. Movies that people would instantly know if you posted the whole image. Generally people do guess the film from the cropped images (as Paolofilmo did with Paths of Glory). And incidentally, wasn't the very next image posted altered to make it more challenging?

As for Pickpocket's remarks they were full of latent aggression from the word go ('can't you just post regular images like normal people'). When I failed to comply (and to be fair I kind of knew that my offhand 'nope' would probably get him into a lather, knowing how he normally deals with things here - that's my bad) he proceeds to call me a dumbass and a fuckhead. This is where I draw the line, and will call someone out, because to me that's unacceptable. I really don't see the need for this abrasive attitude. As it turns out a few others dislike the cropped images, but didn't attack me in the same way, and now that they've expressed their dislike of them it's fine - because they were civil about it. That may not be a big deal these days on the internet, but it is to me. I've been around forums for many years and have developed a kind of zero tolerance towards this hyper aggressive stance a lot of users adopt on the internet, because they can get away with it. Civility in your dealings with others costs nothing, and pointless bickering just annoys everyone, except for the popcorn crowd who thrive on that stuff.

This game is supposed to be a bit of fun in the midst of all the argumentative political posturing that has infected so many other threads here. I like to keep it light and civil, and have tried to do so in all my posts inside and outside of this thread. I see no reason everyone can't get along on forums, but it seems some people are just wired for conflict. If attacked I'll defend myself, but only up to a point as drawn out arguments never get anywhere on the internet. Ever. I've no idea what Pickpocket's response to my last response was, as he's on my ignored list (he's the only one by the way, as everyone else I've interacted with here has been pretty civil - a pleasant surprise when I first started using this site), but if there's one thing I've learned it's that alpha personalities never back down and always get the last word on the net. Whether they're right or wrong makes no difference, and continuing to interact with them will get everyone nowhere, so that's the way that one went.

Apologies for the inconvenience. I look forward to the next image, cropped or otherwise ;)

Detox
0 Ratings

Post by Detox »

dardan
57 Ratings

Post by dardan »

so now that a few have noted their dislike of cropped images I'll not post any more.

I actually really like the cropped images. It prevents the thread from becoming dull and repetitive while also allowing more room for very popular movies to be used in the game. If anything I want users to have more creativity in their hints and clues, which I think should be acceptable as long as it is accompanied with an image.

Pickpocket
0 Ratings

Post by Pickpocket »

Rumplesink wrote:As for Pickpocket's remarks they were full of latent aggression from the word go ('can't you just post regular images like normal people'). When I failed to comply (and to be fair I kind of knew that my offhand 'nope' would probably get him into a lather, knowing how he normally deals with things here - that's my bad) he proceeds to call me a dumbass and a fuckhead. This is where I draw the line, and will call someone out, because to me that's unacceptable. I really don't see the need for this abrasive attitude. As it turns out a few others dislike the cropped images, but didn't attack me in the same way, and now that they've expressed their dislike of them it's fine - because they were civil about it. That may not be a big deal these days on the internet, but it is to me. I've been around forums for many years and have developed a kind of zero tolerance towards this hyper aggressive stance a lot of users adopt on the internet, because they can get away with it. Civility in your dealings with others costs nothing, and pointless bickering just annoys everyone, except for the popcorn crowd who thrive on that stuff.

Gets mad that I call him a name and starts to cry then proceeds to call me a "childish arrogant asshole" but in his mind that is not name calling because he is floating above the rest of us like I said before. Remember, it's perfectly fine when he does it but if you insult his feelings it's tantamount to the greatest of atrocities. This is the logic of a clearly hyper intelligent man.

Rumplesink wrote:This game is supposed to be a bit of fun in the midst of all the argumentative political posturing that has infected so many other threads here. I like to keep it light and civil, and have tried to do so in all my posts inside and outside of this thread. I see no reason everyone can't get along on forums, but it seems some people are just wired for conflict.

I see this a lot from beta males like Rumplesink. We are all wired for conflict. It's how we have survived as a species. Those who were weaker and couldn't deal with conflict were weeded out long ago. He wants to act like he's more evolved which is hilarious. Why is it that the weakest of us always thinks they are the most evolved? We are intelligent monkeys, you fool. Uh oh, called the beta a name, he may block me again :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rumplesink wrote: If attacked I'll defend myself, but only up to a point as drawn out arguments never get anywhere on the internet. Ever. I've no idea what Pickpocket's response to my last response was, as he's on my ignored list (he's the only one by the way, as everyone else I've interacted with here has been pretty civil - a pleasant surprise when I first started using this site),

Read this as "I will defend myself but if you hurt my feelings I will block you because I can't even." :lol:

Rumplesink wrote:Whether they're right or wrong makes no difference, and continuing to interact with them will get everyone nowhere, so that's the way that one went.

There's been several people who have now posted their displeasure with the cropped images. He can't see this because his emotions blind him to reality. Someone could post unaltered images of The Matrix, the most ranked movie on this site, and it could be difficult if done properly.