Would you recommend Netflix?

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
mwgerb
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Would you recommend Netflix?

Post by mwgerb »

SirStuckey wrote:

You wouldn't use a machine to make an infinite number of copies of a car...

ayall
0 Ratings

Post by ayall »

mwgerb wrote:
SirStuckey wrote:

agree'd.

I think it's more then that even.

For good music; if you're truly an amazing Musician, you will have Tours where you preform Live, and people will buy tickets for the experience of seeing the talent first hand.
You should be making money off your continuous live performances; not making one great record in a studio and then coasting the rest of your career off the "royalties."

For books; if you're an amazing Author, you will be invited to lecture and get paid for making appearances/live speeches... again, writing a single great piece and hoping you can coast off the "royalties" shouldn't even be a plausible vision.

When you can take data and simply "copy + paste" to make another a duplicate, that shouldn't mean you instantly double your revenue.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

mwgerb wrote:
SirStuckey wrote:

Exactly. Beyond that, I find it really funny that the anti-piracy advert above was found to have illegally pirated the music they used for it. You can't make this shit up.

freqflyer
0 Ratings

Post by freqflyer »

Exactly. Beyond that, I find it really funny that the anti-piracy advert above was found to have illegally pirated the music they used for it. You can't make this shit up.

ha ha!

One thing I noticed so far is nobody's mentioned the value proposition for Netflix. I have it, and for the most part the movie and tv collection it has is kind of mediocre, but it's only like $8 a month -- that's less than two dvd rentals a month, and with the sheer abundance of content, there's always something watchable. I have three video store memberships with just about any movie I might want to see/rip to fill in the gaps. So from a value for money/time invested perspective, I think it's a good deal.

Bojangles
0 Ratings

Post by Bojangles »

Velvet Crowe
1139 Ratings

Post by Velvet Crowe »

The way I see it is that if you're not really certain of what you want to watch and just kinda want to browse through a bunch of random shit and find something, Netflix is a pretty good option. Otherwise if you want something specific I'd suggest torrents if the legality of it isn't an issue for you.

I honestly think it's a pretty good service if you're looking to watch stuff legally though. Always lots of stuff to watch and in pretty good quality too, especially for how low of a price you have to pay for it.

martryn
148 Ratings

Post by martryn »

I use the DVD by mail service more than anything else. Great for finding more obscure films that are hard to find online, and even harder to find at already hard to find video rental stores. Plus, I enjoy getting mail that I don't immediately throw away, so it gives me something to look forward to every few days.

The streaming stuff is great for series, though. Made my way through Lost, then Star Trek: TNG, and am almost through the entirety of X-Files. Meanwhile, my wife and I watch Archer together, and caught up on Longmire, and when my brother comes to stay with us we end up marathoning episodes of Property Brothers and making homoerotic, incestuous jokes throughout. And my son loves the selection of cartoons. Also, anime.

okayfrog
25 Ratings

Post by okayfrog »

3+ year bump, jeeze.

Anyways, I would recommend Netflix if you're someone who doesn't pirate their films and isn't interested in getting exactly what they want. Last time I had Netflix (last year), I think my queue still had some 300+ films in it so there was definitely a lot for me to watch. However, over the years prior I had gotten annoyed by two things. First, the constant removal of stuff I was interested in. At one time, Netflix seemed to have a ton of Criterion films. Then they were all gone. Same goes for the removal of all MST3K episodes. And second, the fact that not all the films are in Original Aspect Ratio. Became really damn annoying as I'd have to start up a film, pause, then check online to see if the aspect ratio matched. If it didn't, there goes a film off my list. I'd see it recommended for me, but I'd have to remember that I couldn't watch it.

So I stopped using Netflix.