Recent movies that trumped older classics

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
ShogunRua
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Recent movies that trumped older classics

Post by ShogunRua »

MikeH wrote:
ShogunRua wrote:You can request anything you like, but it won't necessarily occur. For instance, I could request you make smarter posts that discuss the deeper elements of film instead of relying on fallacies and shallow over-generalization, but I doubt that will happen.

I'll take that as a 'no'.

Thanks for your input. It's a lovely day here so I'm going for a swim, then I'm going to meet some close friends for lunch.

I hope you have a nice Sunday.

Awww, don't be like that. Like I said, this is a reasonably interesting topic, unfortunate first example aside. In fact, I like it because pondering this subject is making me realize more and more how much movies have changed, to the point where I'm struggling to come up with examples, even between remakes or thematically similar pictures.

For instance, I like the Coens' version of True Grit (2010) far more than the John Wayne original. However, they're two completely different movies, with different goals, aesthetics, everything.

MikeH
0 Ratings

Post by MikeH »

OK -- apologies to everyone for my absurd and superficial first attempt.

I've dried my eyes and picked my teddy up off the floor. I'm gonna have another go at discussing really important movie issues with intellectual titans.

How's about this for another try:

Titanic trumps Battleship Potemkin! I just really struggled with Battleship Potemkin; first of all, it was in black and white (always a sign of pretentiousness) and, from what I gathered, it was about some people being shot in Russia. As a priveleged westerner, I don't really care about that sort of thing. Titanic, however, was glorious! Kate Winslet naked, a nail-biting "how will it end?" plot, plus a really moving song by Celine Dion. What more could you ask for?

On second thoughts, maybe it should be Hunt for Red October, cos that was about Russian stuff wasn't it? But then it was about a submarine, not a boat...

CMonster
229 Ratings

Post by CMonster »

MikeH wrote:OK -- apologies to everyone for my absurd and superficial first attempt.

I've dried my eyes and picked my teddy up off the floor. I'm gonna have another go at discussing really important movie issues with intellectual titans.

How's about this for another try:

Titanic trumps Battleship Potemkin! I just really struggled with Battleship Potemkin; first of all, it was in black and white (always a sign of pretentiousness) and, from what I gathered, it was about some people being shot in Russia. As a priveleged westerner, I don't really care about that sort of thing. Titanic, however, was glorious! Kate Winslet naked, a nail-biting "how will it end?" plot, plus a really moving song by Celine Dion. What more could you ask for?

On second thoughts, maybe it should be Hunt for Red October, cos that was about Russian stuff wasn't it? But then it was about a submarine, not a boat...

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

If I was forced to watch either Battleship Potemkin or Titanic, not sure which one I would choose.

Potemkin is massively more boring, and practically unwatchable for anyone born after about 1955, but it's also 2 hours shorter.

Suture Self
0 Ratings

Post by Suture Self »

While I agree with you, Shogun, I'm wondering how you're so sure of yourself despite not having seen Nightcrawler? Or am I making a false assumption merely because you haven't rated it?

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

Suture Self wrote:While I agree with you, Shogun, I'm wondering how you're so sure of yourself despite not having seen Nightcrawler? Or am I making a false assumption merely because you haven't rated it?

I've admittedly only watched the trailer and talked to people who have seen it, but unless they're all completely lying to me, and the trailer is the most dishonest one ever put forth, it's a completely different movie than Network with virtually nothing in common.

I haven't seen Gangster Squad either, but from what I know, I'm pretty sure it's a different movie than the The Godfather, despite both featuring crime and mafiosi...

mattorama12
67 Ratings

Post by mattorama12 »

ShogunRua wrote:
Suture Self wrote:While I agree with you, Shogun, I'm wondering how you're so sure of yourself despite not having seen Nightcrawler? Or am I making a false assumption merely because you haven't rated it?

I've admittedly only watched the trailer and talked to people who have seen it, but unless they're all completely lying to me, and the trailer is the most dishonest one ever put forth, it's a completely different movie than Network with virtually nothing in common.

I haven't seen Gangster Squad either, but from what I know, I'm pretty sure it's a different movie than the The Godfather, despite both featuring crime and mafiosi...

I also agree that Nightcrawler and Network are very different movies. However, the trailer for Nightcrawler is pretty dishonest. Myself and the three friends I saw it with all said something to the effect of "very different from what I was expecting based on the trailer" as soon as we came out of the theater.

Ocelot
450 Ratings

Post by Ocelot »

I don't know what you were expecting from the trailer in that case.

Dorkovsky
836 Ratings

Post by Dorkovsky »

Unless the movie in question is something you already KNOW what to expect (Marvel superhero flicks, Transformers, etc.), dishonesty in trailers is a feature, not a bug.

MikeH
0 Ratings

Post by MikeH »

Nightcrawler and Network are very different movies indeed. However, as their main focus, they both tackle the issue of the lengths to which those involved in news media will go to to film and profit from people's misfortune, general violence and death, and also the complicity of the viewing public in terms of providing the viewing figures.

Several critics have pointed out the similarities between the two movies, as did Riz Ahmed (Rick in Nightcrawler) in an interview with BBC radio 4.

The main difference is in the scenarios that they use (broadcaster gone mad given his own show vs predatory cameraman selling footage to a news agency) to address the issues. While I absolutely loved Network and consider that it entirely deserved its Oscar haul, personally I found the Nightcrawler scenario a little more effective and believable -- to the point where it almost felt like watching a documentary for periods of it. In contrast, I felt like I was always aware that I was watching a dramatisation with Network and some parts, like people shouting "I'm mad as hell!" out of their windows [spoiler]and the filming of a broadcaster actually dying on air,[/spoiler]felt a little over-egged. Having said that, it could be said that some elements of Nightcrawler were over-egged, too.

I understand everybody might not share my taste for realism, or agree with what my perception of cinematic realism is.