Introducing: New Rating Cards

This is where you'll find information about updates to the site -- new features we've introduced, bugs we've fixed, and anything else which might be of interest to the community!
mpowell
Your TCI: na

Introducing: New Rating Cards

Post by mpowell »

We're excited to announce a new feature at Criticker, that has been in the works for some time: an enhanced rating card for titles that you've rated and reviewed!

For too long, it's been difficult to see your own review on a title -- you'd have to scroll down, where you'd find it above the list of other reviews. That never seemed prominent enough; we want to make it easy for you to see your own thoughts, edit them, see the stars which others have given them, and share them.

We've also reorganized the Title Information found for every film and game, making the list of filmmakers a little easier to read and eliminating some unnecessary white space.

That's not all!! Some other bug fixes include:

Sorting Ratings by Date Broken - Attempts to sort reviews showed just one review available

Season/episode bug - When someone submitted a new tv epsiode as "Season 7" we were storing that as "Season 7" and "Episode 7"

Duplicates in New Submissions - Filmmakers were being duplicated unnecessarily in new title submissions

Ignored Users in PSI Calculations - A stubborn bug that keeps reappearing for sponsors; hopefully squashed for good, this time!

There were quite a few behind-the-scenes changes as well. As always, there's a danger that new bugs have been introduced. If you notice anything off, please let us know!

We hope you like these changes! Thanks again to everyone who's helped report bugs and share their thoughts about the site!

sopachuco13

Re: Introducing: New Rating Cards

Post by sopachuco13 »

I really like the way these look.

TychoCelchuu

Post by TychoCelchuu »

Looks nicer!

td888

Post by td888 »

Much better!

Ramy

Post by Ramy »

This looks so good. I love the cleaner, more compact info page too.

rotacirav

Post by rotacirav »

mpowell wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2024 7:49 am
We're excited to announce a new feature at Criticker, that has been in the works for some time: an enhanced rating card for titles that you've rated and reviewed!

[…]

There were quite a few behind-the-scenes changes as well. As always, there's a danger that new bugs have been introduced. If you notice anything off, please let us know!

We hope you like these changes! Thanks again to everyone who's helped report bugs and share their thoughts about the site!
I’m not too happy about this, since it seems to mean you can no longer see your own reviews as they appear to others (with the same line breaks etc.), except in the circuitous way of logging out, returning to the film’s page and searching for your review — correct? Not to mention that apparently for reasons of space, the text in the new rating card is actually smaller than the text in the normal list of reviews, which seems to go against the goal of more prominence.

Also, the new rating card currently shows all my ratings as 61st percentile, just as it does in your screenshot. I assume that’s just a temporary bug.
Last edited by rotacirav on Mon Sep 09, 2024 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

metalhank

Post by metalhank »

The watch date is wrong as well in the new card, showing same as rated date.

mpowell

Post by mpowell »

rotacirav wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2024 6:45 pm
I’m not too happy about this, since it seems to mean you can no longer see your own reviews as they appear to others (with the same line breaks etc.), except in the circuitous way of logging out, returning to the film’s page and searching for your review — correct? Not to mention that apparently for reasons of space, the text in the new rating card is actually smaller than the text in the normal list of reviews, which seems to go against the goal of more prominence.
Thanks for this feedback. Yeah, your rating card is treated and displayed differently from the others. To see your review in the list of other reviews, you could always open up an incognito window, which would save you from having to log out, and then log back in. As far as seeing it with the same line breaks, keep in mind that those cards are responsive to the browser size ... so there would never be a guarantee that others are seeing it with the same breaks.

About the font-size -- you're correct that we made the quote-text smaller in order to have everything fit nicely on the page. We went through a ton of iterations on this card, and this was the most versatile and best-looking version. That said, nothing is ever set in stone, and it's good to know what people are thinking!

rotacirav wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2024 6:45 pm
Also, the new rating card currently shows all my ratings as 61st percentile, just as it does in your screenshot. I assume that’s just a temporary bug.
This was indeed a temporary mistake! It's been corrected :)

mpowell

Post by mpowell »

metalhank wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2024 7:30 pm
The watch date is wrong as well in the new card, showing same as rated date.
Thanks for that catch! It's been corrected :)

rotacirav

Post by rotacirav »

mpowell wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2024 7:20 am
To see your review in the list of other reviews, you could always open up an incognito window, which would save you from having to log out, and then log back in.
Right, that is slightly more convenient. Thank you.

As far as seeing it with the same line breaks, keep in mind that those cards are responsive to the browser size ... so there would never be a guarantee that others are seeing it with the same breaks.
Of course, but when your own review has the same layout as the others you can easily see how it looks to other people with any given browser window size – thatʼs what I meant.

About the font-size -- you're correct that we made the quote-text smaller in order to have everything fit nicely on the page. We went through a ton of iterations on this card, and this was the most versatile and best-looking version. That said, nothing is ever set in stone, and it's good to know what people are thinking!
Of course I canʼt say yet what I will be thinking about the card when Iʼm accustomed to it. Thatʼs often quite different from initial reaction. Anyway, thank you for maintaining this website!
Last edited by rotacirav on Mon Sep 09, 2024 6:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.